Why not follow this simple 5-step plan?
Gently wash, condition, towel dry and thoroughly moisturise your hair. Comb through from the tips to the roots; never comb from the roots to the tips. Your hair may be tight but vigourousness and excessive friction can be damaging and gentleness is key. Avoid fine tooth combs at all times, and use brushes when untangling smaller or tighter curls.
We recommend cornrows because we have found that hair grows faster when plaited, but you may prefer to keep your hair loose. Plait large (@8) but flat cornrows from your forehead to your neck. Plait the ends together too - do not use thread or elastic bands. Less is more so leave only a small amount of your hair loose at the front, for the parting (about the size of two fingers, that's all).
Wear a protective style (a.k.a. 'wig') almost daily, i.e. up to 90% of the time, allowing it to protect your hair from all the elements. You should loosen your cornrows and set your hair free for the other 10% of the time though! Have at least two wigs on the go so that you have one to wear while you wash the other one. (If your wig includes clips but your hairline is fragile, do not attach your wig with the clips. Unless they are toupee clips, like those used in the SimiWeave™. Toupee clips may be suitable because they also include slide combs, which tend to be OK even for fragile hairlines). Remove your wig every night to let your hair breathe and to moisturise your hair lightly, every other day. Avoid wearing a scarf or net at night since they can rub on your hairline. Use a towel on your pillow if there is too much residue from your moisturiser. If you prefer to wear a scarf, make sure it is made of silk. Yes, we know that all of this can wreck your love life, but it is worth it!
Loosen your cornrows and repeat the above steps frequently - weekly if your scalp perspires a lot and / or produces a lot of natural oils.
Always avoid harsh conditions like smoky environments, bright lights, extreme weather, etc.; and, maintain a balanced and healthy diet and lifestyle - it all counts! Always practice good hair etiquette too (do not use chemicals (including relaxers, perms, dyes, etc.), abrasive or sharp items and materials on your hair and avoid excessive tugging, force, weight and tightness).